Pink and Purple Ribbons
I am a domestic violence survivor.
I walked a Susan G. Komen 3-Day with her in 2006. She walked a SafeWalk with me yesterday. We’re talking about doing both next year.
As we wrap up October, which is Breast Cancer Awareness Month and Domestic Violence Awareness Month, I am thinking about the similarities and differences between the ways we think about these two ribboned women’s issues.
Fortunately, hressential.com has done the heavy lifting for me, in this fact-packed post. They compare breast cancer and domestic violence based on the following criteria:
- how many women experience them
- how many women die from them
- how women are treated/helped
- how much money each costs the economy
- how each is talked about (or not)